Baby it’s hot outside! The heat has hit our area and the last thing I want to do is the oven on! These hot summer nights call for a delicious, refreshing and light meal! I’m sharing a family secret recipe that I have eaten since I was 3 years old, playing on the sunny shores of San Onofre State Beach, California (basically, for as long as I can remember!). Today we’re making Tangy Chicken Salad with sweet and juicy Mandarin oranges, savory rich black olives, crunchy celery and nutty toasted almonds, bathed in a tangy orange dressing and served on tender buttery bib lettuce! Oh my YUM!
This salad can come together very quickly, especially if you plan ahead. You can use rotisserie chicken, boiled chicken, roasted chicken, or grilled chicken. I like to either roast or grill my chicken ahead of time for this recipe and keep it in the fridge.
Take 4 large boneless chicken breasts, coat them in olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Then you can choose to either grill or bake until done and juicy (do not over cook your chicken!) Set them aside after cooking and allow to cool before you cut the chicken into bite sized chunks.
Now chop up 2 stalks of celery and a small can of sliced black olives. We’ll be tossing in a little over 1/2 a can of Mandarin organges. Did you know that they are part of the tangerine family? I swear I could eat the entire can myself. You are welcome to use fresh, peeled and segmented clementine oranges as a subsitute if you desire. Clementines are always in our fridge. My kids gobble them up!
The secret to this Tangy Chicken Salad recipe’s deliciousness is the dressing. I usually mix it up in a cereal bowl. It doesn’t take much to release amazing flavor. I’ve provided the full recipe in a printable form for you below. Feel free to make the dressing ahead of time and then throw everything together at the last minute.
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts- cooked, baked, roasted or grilled (whatever you prefer) and chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 small can sliced black olives, drained
- 1- 14 oz can Mandarin Oranges, drained (use ½- 3/4 of the can)
- 1 oz. pkg. slivered almonds, toasted.
- Orange Dressing:
- 3 Tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ black pepper
- Roast, boil, bake or grill the chicken. Allow to cool completely before cutting into chunks and then place in bowl.
- Gently fold in chopped celery,olives and oranges.
- In a separate bowl mix together dressing with a wire wisk until smooth and combined.
- Pour dressing over chicken mixture and then fold in toasted almond slivers.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve on bib lettuce if desired and garnish with sliced avocado and additional mandarin orange slices.
I hope you try my family’s Tangy Chicken Salad this summer! This recipe is amazing for a ladies luncheon or shower. Toss in a big basket of plump blueberry muffins to compliment the tangy chicken salad and girl…. you just knocked this salad out of the ball park!
You might also like: