Coastal Kitchen Makeover

Coastal Kitchen Makeover

Raise a glass with me! Today is the day! I’m so excited I could scream. Today I’m revealing our Coastal Kitchen Makeover! (FINALLY, I hear you say).  It’s been 10 long months since our dishwasher decided to go rogue in the middle of the night and destroy nearly 1/2 of our first floor level. I won’t lie, this has been one of the hardest years of our family’s lives, but the results are so amazing and I’m still in disbelief that this is our home! Get ready for a slew of photos my friends!

Coastal Kitchen Makeover

Here’s a little reminder of where we were: in complete panic mode. Water half way into our familyroom and under all of our hardwood flooring in the kitchen and eating area. And because our hardwood went under the cabinets, the water restoration people had to rip out everything. Cabinets, counters, hardwood, carpet, padding. It all had to go. I thought my husband would have a heart attack.  You can follow the whole “after the flood” and makover journey with the posts at the bottom of this page.

floors coming out after a flood

My blood pressure is still too high to write about dealing with home insurance and contractors, but as soon as I can get calm enough without cussing I’ll recap all the HARD lessons learned through this awful process. 😉

When you lose everything, then the blessing is that you can start with a clean slate. It was time to make our kitchen the kitchen of my dreams. I created a coastal kitchen design idea board. Putting together all the products you love onto one board or even a Pinterest board is a great way to develop a cohesive design concept.

Coastal Kitchen Design Board

Coastal Kitchen Makeover

Ta-da! The kitchen is exactly what I envisioned.

Coastal Kitchen Makeover - Sand and Sisal

I wanted new stools but they weren’t in the budget so we spray painted our old mahogany stools white to match the kitchen. We found the stools at Overstock.com several years ago, but I’m pretty sure they still carry them.

The coastal backsplash is tile from Lunada Bay Tile. The color is Agate Lucca Pearl 1×4 Brick. The color of the tile is a marbled swirl of seaglass blues, greens, and gold, topped with a subtle pearl iridescent glazed finish. It is absolutely stunning in person. I wish the camera could capture the iridescence better.

Coastal Backsplash and Kitchen Makeover - Lunada Bay Tile

This faucet has been sitting under my bed for the past 3 years. I kid you not! I was a Delta Faucet Blogger back in 2013 and chose this gorgeous Trinsic Touch Faucet in Champagne Bronze. The reemergence of muted bronze and gold tones were just starting to pop up onto the style scene. My personal style is not a “matchy-match” kind of style. Call me a bit of a traditional ruler breaker.  I love mixing metals. When it is done correctly, mixing metals can give a room a more intersting, creative, and vibrant energy that people can’t quite put their finger on. This faucet is a game changer in the kitchen. My family LOVE’s it. Tap on- tap off… awesome.

Delta Trinsic Faucet - Champagne Bronze

Our cabinets were all custom built from a local custom cabinet company.

Coastal Kitchen Makeover

Our overhead lighting was all redone and the 2 Gold Orb Pendants over the bar are by Ballard Designs.  They repeat the gold tone of the faucet, the warm weathered oak floors and the gold in the tile backsplash. Gold accents are then brought into and throughout the familyroom also. What girl does need a little bling in the kitchen? After all this flood drama… I think I deserve it.

Gold Orb Chandelier - Ballard Designs, Sand and Sisal

The counter tops are Cambria Quartz (which we had before) in Torquay. They look like marble but are so much stronger, non-porous and do not need any maintenance.

Gold Bowl of Limes - Coastal Kitchen - Cambria Torquay Quartz Counters

The paint colors in the kitchen are the following:

• kitchen walls- Sherwin Williams Comfort Gray
  • family room walls – Sherwin Williams Sea Salt
  • white cabinets – Sherwin Williams (custom white color) but closest would be Extra White
  • island color – Sherwin Williams Oyster Bay

Coastal Kitchen Island - Oyster Bay

I chose almost all deep drawers for our base cabinets. My mom’s home has deep drawers and they are so much easier to use and seem to store so much more. We ripped out all of the existing soffits and added upper glass cabinets and a new upper and lower cabinet in the corner. This area once was an empty and wasted space but now serves our little coffee station.

Coastal Kitchen Home Tour

Chic Coastal Kitchen

New appliances were a must. Previously we had only electric, but converted over to a gorgeous gas range by Samsung with matching microwave.

White Coastal Kitchen

The bad boy dishwasher that caused all of our nightmares was replaced by a new Samsung Waterwall dishwasher. I LOVE IT! It is whisper soft but I’m still watching him out of the corner of my eye. 😉

White and sea glass coastal kitchen makeover. Backsplash - Lunada Bay Tile in Agate Lucca Pearl 1x4 brick

Sherwin Williams Oyster Bay Blue Kitchen Island

All of the upper cabinets have under cabinet lighting and the glass uppers have LED strip tape lighting.

Gorgeous Coastal Kitchen Makeover

We had to let our contractor go and so the last month has been Alan and I finishing all the crown molding and trim work ourselves. The last thing to do is to build a mantel in the familyroom. Which we hope to finish in the next few weeks and then I’ll show off the family room, though you can see a sneaky peek of it here.

Sand and Sisal's Coastal Kitchen Makeover

Over all we couldn’t be more thrilled with the results. I hope you like it as much as I do!

You know you’ve made the right design choices when you walk into the space, exhale and say, “This is me. I am HOME.”

Love this post? Pin it for later!

coastal-kitchen-makeover

Catch up on the whole flood fiasco & our kitchen renovation progress with these posts:

Waking up to a Flood

Wet subfloor from kitchen flood

After the Flood ~ An Update

ripping out the floors

After the Flood – Preparing and Installing Hardwood Floors

White Oak Hardwood Flooring

Choosing Hardwood Floor Stains

Choosing Floor Stains: Top- bottom- 1) Waterborn clear coat 2) Polyurethane 3) DuraSeal Nutmeg Stain 4) Duraseal Provincial Stain 5) Minwax Weathered Oak. Note: DuraSeal Stains are by Minwax. Left side 80 grit sanded, right side 150 gril sanded. The level of sanding effects the stain appearance.

Weathered Oak Floor Reveal + More Demo {After the Flood Update}

White Oak Hardwood Floors - Duraseal Weathered Oak Stain

Our Coastal Kitchen Design Board

Coastal Kitchen Design Board

DIY Cabinet Hardware Template

Cabinet Hardware Template DIY

KIM

Related Post

Love this post? Let's keep in touch!

Subscribe for free to have Sand and Sisal delivered straight to your inbox.

Comments

1. Absolutely hands down gorgeous! I love every last teeny detail. I mean who doesn’t love coastal anyway and your interpretation of it spot on. We painted our cabinets and reflowed and did woodwork this past winter and are looking into the tile backsplash and painting my beadboard…can’t decide because it turned out to be the same color (to the eye) as the cabinet paint and it makes for a pretty continuity. But I have had my eye on painting my Island and may just do it now that I see how gorgeous yours is.

2. I have been waiting forever for this big reveal, and now that it’s finally here I LOVE IT!!! My kitchen is already painted with SW Comfort Grey, and now you’ve got me wanting to paint my island cabinets with Oyster Bay. I totally swooning over that tile backsplash too! Now….to just convince my husband that we need a kitchen makeover. Maybe I can rig my dishwasher to have a little “accident”…..Ha ha!!! Nice work – love it all!

3. Sandy Park says:

All I can say is “WOW” it’s beautiful. I’m so glad you got the kitchen of your dreams. You deserve it.

4. Kim, your kitchen is the most beautiful kitchen I’ve ever seen! I love all the colors and all the finishes. You managed to turn chaos into triumph. ?

5. Shirley says:

What can one say?? It is absolutely beautiful. Enjoy!

6. It is beyond amazing!! I love every detail to include the brass faucet. Gr

7. Wow! You have great taste, and the kitchen is gorgeous. I am so in love with the backsplash and the blue color on the island. Thanks for some very useful beachy inspiration.

8. WOW! Your new kitchen is just stunning. The mixed metals really work in this space and adds to the causal, coastal feel. If you had gone all gold, the casualness would have been lost. I especially love these Ballard lights – I have the same in my guestroom. This project is a perfect example of making lemonade of the lemons life sometimes hands us.

9. Looks fabulous!!!!!!

10. OMG your new kitchen is Ah-mazing! What’s not to love about it?! The backsplash, the lighting, the island… Gorgeous!

11. SPECTACULAR! Congratulations on the beauty and perseverance it took to get there!

12. Ginello says:

OH BOY…My dream kitchen comes to life. Thanks for sharing. Sorry that you’ve gone through so much to get there, but the end results are spectacular !!

13. Zovesta says:

What an amazing outcome from such a tragedy! It’s absolutely fabulous. <3 <3

14. Kim- I couldn’t be happier for you! The new kitchen is absolutely gorgeous and “classy coastal”. I know you must be loving it! Enjoy it.

15. Kathleen says:

Wow! This kitchen is just beautiful K

16. Stunning ……
    Where did you get your cabinet hardware from?

17. Absolutely beautiful! Sorry you had to go thru that to get the kitchen of your dreams, but it is truly a beautiful space!

18. It’s stunning and just perfect Kim!! I love every single thing!
    Nancy

19. Just beautiful Kim. Sad that it was a flood that lead to such a stunner kitchen… but it is a sweet compensation prize 🙂 But I know you are glad all the construction is done and over with !!
    Happy weekend.
    Hugs, Gee

20. I understand what you went through. While we were out camping one weekend my best friends kitchen flooded due to the, wait for it, dishwasher. But it was the hot water. She has ,an old home with original hardwood floors. The hot water flowed for over 24 hours. It even soaked up the walls. And the troubles with all the trades, they would ruin each others work. Everything from ruining the newly layed custom floors to breaking the granic counters, twice. Over a year later of not living in the house, she got back in. And had to hire out the details.
    Your kitchen is gorgeous and in another year you’ll still be living it.

• 24 hours?! What a nightmare! And yes, the tradesmen screwing up eachother’s work… don’t get me started. At least I can say we survived! Thanks so much for your kind comment!

21. I’m so proud of all your hard work and perseverance sis! It’s gorgeous and your pics capture its beauty perfectly. Congrats on being done!!

22. I am so happy for you! I know how long you have been working on this and I was so excited when I saw your post. I had been looking forward to the final reveal. Wow – every detail is gorgeous! Love the mixed metals, that stunning backsplash, the colors, the lighting, everything! Cheers to you! Enjoy!!
    Shelley

23. Jacquie Richard says:

Absolutely gorgeous, stunning, perfect.

24. Oh my! I love your kitchen so much! It is exactly what I would choose if I redid my kitchen 🙂

25. Congratulations, Kim! Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful. Now it really looks like YOUR kitchen–a great complement to the rest of your house. I’m so glad for you that this chapter in your life is over. . . I know it’s been really hard on you. But just look at the result!!

26. Congratulations, Kim, on your gorgeous kitchen. Love all of the finishes. We just finished a year-long remodel too, although ours was planned, so I know how much work is involved. Enjoy your beautiful new space!

27. Absolutely stunning!

28. Beautiful!! Be very proud!

29. Your new kitchen is gorgeous, Kim! I can’t get myself to delete this post! I keep going back to it several times a day! I’m so happy for you! I love the coastal style. I think my whole house needs a BIG makeover! I love all your coastal paint colors. Would you mind if I ask the paint color in your hall/dining room? You have given me so much inspiration! Enjoy you new beautiful space! You deserve it!

30. I’m so sorry you had to go through this nightmare, but the end result is nothing short of STUNNING. This may be my absolutely favorite kitchen ever! Bravo!

31. So gorgeous. I was thinking of the comfort gray for my kitchen walls so I am going with that. I just had my cabinets painted with navejho white and the island mindful gray.
    Your kitchen looks very clean and classic!

32. It’s been a long journey but it’s nice to be on the other side of it i’m sure! You really made lemonade out of the lemons your dishwasher threw at you! I’m in love with those tiles and I wish I could see the detail better but I’m sure it’s beautiful! Amazing job! Thanks for sharing 🙂

33. Hi,
    Your kitchen is stunning, absolutely perfect! We have just finished tearing out our kitchen – I’d be thrilled for mine to nearly as nice as yours!! May I ask what the dimensions of your island are? And which floor you choose? Congratulations and thanks so much!

• Thank you Lou! The floors are white oak in Duraseal weathered oak stain with Bona Waterborne sealer in a satin finish. The island’s basic dimensions are 24×66″. The decorative panels add more inches and the quartz is 68″. We love it!

34. Elizabeth says:

Kim, your kitchen is gorgeous! I’ve got swatches of most of your paint colors and the same backsplash picked out already for our kitchen remodel. I love the coastal style. I was curious about the paneling you use for the back of your peninsula and what color you chose to paint it.. It looks like the sea salt to me but I could be wrong. did you buy a kit or a specific kind of wood to do that part?
    Great job!

• Hi Elizabeth! That color is the next one down from Comfort Gray on the color swatch, Oyster Bay, which is what we used on the island also. The lighting is a bit different in that room so the color on the peninsula appears darker. The paneling was made from 3/4 inch tongue and groove pine boards. You have to get those at a lumber supply yard. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I appreciate it!

• lisa chang says:

Hi Kim ..
        I really like the paint color of your kitchen as I see it on this web page. When I went to Sherwin Williams to look at the color swatch for your fan of colors, it looks greyer than the color I see on the web page. In person do the colors look more grey, like the color swatches, or more blue like the web page? I am wondering if I may need to go to a different color swatch to achieve the colors that I see on your web page.

Thanks for your help…
        lisa

• Hi Lisa!

You aren’t the first person to say that. Computers and phones really change how colors look vs. reality. Never trust a computer to give you an accurate perception of a color. When I go into the SW store, I can never find the swatch on the wall either because of the florescent store lighting.

Comfort Gray is a very gray-blue with green undertones. The interesting thing about the color is how it changes depending on the lighting. On sunny days, the color is quite blue and on cloudy days, it is more blue. LED lights will make it appear bluer, and incandescent lightbulbs will make it appear greener. I always suggest buying their $4.99 sample quart and paint a large 2×2 or 3×3 foot square on your wall before buying a gallon. If you prefer a lighter color, then I’d go with one shade lighter on the color swatch which is Sea Salt. We have sea salt painted in our familyroom, music room and foyer. Hope that helps!
          Best,
          KIM

• lisa chang says:

Thank you very much for responding so quickly. It is a real big help to my kitchen remodel. I was sharing your pictures with another friend… and it just dawned on me that I didn’t ask you what color you painted your ceilings in the kitchen. What color did you use?

Many, many thanks!! Your kitchen looks so beautiful!!!! I love it everytime I see it.

Thanks
            lisa

35. I am super impressed! I too love the beach and want my home to look like a beach cottage. You are absolutely correct, you DO deserve it! What a mess you dealt with and now you are blessed with an awesome kitchen. I have an idea board too and just hope to see it come to fruition one day (soon would be nice lol) the only negative point re your beautiful kitchen is: I wouldn’t want to mess it up by cooking lol pretty great only negative though ?

36. It’s just stunning, Kim! I’m relieved for you! Such a journey but the end result is perfectly you! I know it’s hard to go through the muck to get through the other side, but oh, the lessons you’ve learned 🙂 Congrats!

37. Your kitchen turn out so beautiful. I cannot imagine the headaches you and your husband had to endure through the the process. I would love to know where the barstools are from. My husband and I just purchased a beach condo and those would look great in our space. I too am going for a sleek coastal design. Your room has given me a lot of inspiration 🙂

• Thank you Jennifer! Our stools are mahogany from Overstock.com. I’m pretty sure they still carry them. We bought them several years ago. To match the new kitchen we spray painted them white. I’d love new stools but we needed to save money somewhere 😉

38. Joy Singleton says:

I just love everything about your renovation – the tiles, the lovely soft colours – It looks so soft yet warm and welcoming. Congratulations on a wonderful Reno.

39. Cindi Boger says:

STUNNING!!! I love everything about this kitchen. Great job.

40. Absolutely gorgeous. Calming. Coordinated. Love it!

41. OH MY GOODNESS THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!! Do you mind telling me where you got those awesome white barstools?

Thanks!!
    Leslie

42. Oh, my gosh! Everything is just gorgeous! You are so right about the mix of metals!

43. Joanne Willcox says:

I LOVE your kitchen…..Great job! Great Backsplash and paint colors!

44. Whitney Billings says:

Looks beautiful!! Can you please tell me where you purchased your bar stools?? I love them!

45. I’m so sorry that your dishwasher ruined your old Kitchen! Thats so crazy! But just look at what came out of that…wonderful job, your kitchen looks absolutely amazing!

46. Eileen Foley says:

Love your kitchen!! What type of edge did you use on your Cambria Quartz? Are the glass cabinets just clear glass? Thank you you’re kitchen has been an inspiration for my dream coastal kitchen!

• Thanks Eileen! The edge was called a half-round bullnose I think. It simply just has the sharp edges rounded a bit. The glass is has a texture called “watery”, it looks like rippling water. I love it. 😉

• Eileen Foley says:

Thank you so much for getting back with me so quickly! We are doing a remodel of our Florida condo also from a flood.. But unfortunately having to plan long distance from Michigan! Your ideas have been so helpful!!

• Eileen Foley says:

One last question.. Can any cabinet company get the Watery glass? We are using Kraftmaid Vantage. Thx!

47. Eileen Foley says:

Sorry forgot to ask what size did you use of your Elements cabinet pulls? Drawer pull size? Love them! Thank you:)

48. Absolutely gorgeous. I’m so sorry about the flood. We experienced the same thing one day before I was to head back to work from maternity leave with my first born. It is awful. Ugh. I’m so glad you were able to get your dream kitchen. The backsplash, pendants and faucet are amazing.

49. Color me inspired. I loved seeing this after following a pin over here. We are about six weeks away from our own reno. With my new blog highlighting our move to a coastal home from the Midwest, I enjoyed your beautiful pictures and a composite that was head and shoulders over mine, but I am motivated and learning. 😀 It is fun to document our progress even if nobody reads it but if I’m going to do this I want to do it well. Your blog is beautiful and when I have more time this weekend I hope to take a better tour. Love the kitchen elements. I can see a similarity in our styles. So glad I found you.

50. I am absolutely in love with this! Where did you purchase the tile at? I can’t seem to find it online…

Thanks!

51. Gorgeous makeover…

52. Love your kitchen! I am ordering that backsplash and wonder if you remember what grout you used. Thank you!

53. Love your kitchen and have chosen the same Samsung gas range for our remodel. May I ask what is the depth of the cabinets that are above the microwave? And does it bother you that the black sides of it show?

• Hi Carol. The cabinets above the microwave are the standard 12 in deep upper cabinets. We simply had our builder bump them out 3 inches. And no, it doesn’t bother me. You will love the range too! Thanks so much!

54. Oh yes!!! We are smack dab in the middle of a kitchen/dining/family room remodel & I am going with a lot of the same look & feel. Seeing yours done has given me the needed inspiration in the drywall, mud. sand, mud, sand, repeat… phase! We have also chosen Cambria Quartz in Torquay… I can’t wait. But my backsplash is a 3×6 glass subway tile from Lowe’s in an aqua color. I do like the Lunada Bay tiles (actually live near Lunada Bay!) but wanted the more traditional subway. Thank you for sharing & inspiring us!!!

• Hi Dawn! Your kitchen sounds like it will be beautiful! I thought about a larger subway tile too. I love my choice but I wish it came in the subway size. Hang in there with the drywall dust! It gets EVERYWHERE doesn’t it? Send me a pic when you are finished, I’d love to see it! ~ KIM

55. Kassie Groy says:

Do you have a link for where you got your kitchen knobs?? I can’t find them online, but I absolutely love them! Thanks in advance!

56. Jennifer Stark says:

Wow!!! LOVE your kitchen! Especially the backsplash! I have to know where you got it! I’ve been researching the name of the tile and the links provided with no luck in actually being able to purchase this backsplash tiles. Please include a phone number or direct retailer!!! I can’t wait to have a kitchen as beautiful as yours!

• Hi Jennifer,
      Thank you so much! At the bottom of Lunada Bay’s website is a “Contact Us” link. Click on that and you can either fill out the contact form or call their direct customer service phone number which is listed at the top of the form. That is what I did. They are the manufacturer, not the retailer, but they can tell you the tile stores that sell Lunada Bay in your area. Hope that helps! ~ KIM

57. Where did you get the pulls for the cupboards?

58. Kim Strickland says:

Would it be possible for you to give me the dimensions of your kitchen?
    It is absolutely gorgeous.

Kim

59. Gorgeous! Where did you get that picture beside the coffee bar??

60. I love the backsplash you used for your kitchen! You said there are two tile shops in our area that carry the Agate Lucca Pearl 1×4″ brick. Can you tell me which shops those are? I also live in Virgina Beach. 🙂

• Hi Cindy! I can’t remember the one in VB but International Tile in Greenbrier (right off of Executive Pkwy) carries Lunada Bay Tile. Go to the LundadaBaytile.com, scroll to the bottom and call their phone number and ask for retailers around VB (That’s what I did). They don’t seem to answer the email contact form. Hope that helps!

61. Joan Baldwin says:

Maybe too late to ask a question about this. Love every, single thing about all these rooms. However, I can’t figure out where the Comfort Grey is. Thanks

• Hi Joan,
      The family room is painted in Sea Salt. The kitchen walls, staircase and entire kitchen eating area is painted in Comfort Gray. Comfort Gray and Sea Salt are essentially the exact same color except Comfort Gray is one shade darker on the color swatch, so trying to see the difference between the 2 rooms is barely noticable. We used to have Comfort Gray for several years in the family room but decided to lighten up the space with Sea Salt, which it did significantly. Hope that helps. 😉
      Have a great week,
      KIM

62. Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love the cabinets and all of ft pretty colors you chose too! We’re remodeling our kitchen right now too, due to a leak/flood from the fridge! We’re trying to decide if we should rearrange our cabinet layout to allow for a good over the oven or not. Our microwave is above the stove currently like yours. The only other place we could put a microwave (so we can have a hood above the stove), is where our little built in pantry is. I’m hesitant to lose my only pantry, even if it is a small one. But I want our cooking steam and grease to go into a hood instead of how it currently travels with my microwave over the stove. When the micro fan is on, the steam still just travels up the front of the microwave and to the upper cabinets. Do you have or ever have had this problem with having the microwave above the stove? Did you have same space issues with relocating the microwave so you kept it above the stove instead of installing a hood?

• Hi Jennie! Thank you for your sweet comments. I would have loved a big beautiful hood over the stove but we simply couldn’t afford it. Hoods are way more expensive than people realize. We upgraded our microwave and made sure that the fan was venting outside. It isn’t perfect but so far it seems to be working better than our previous microwave. I’m seeing a lot of microwaves in islands now, so I’m not sure if that might be an option for you. Hope that helps! Bests of luck to you during your renovations. Hang in there! ~ KIM

63. Danielle says:

I’m not sure if this comment already posted, so I am leaving another message. I love your kitchen and dining room!! I recently purchased my home and have gotten so much inspiration from your posts; thank you so much for sharing!!

64. Hello!
    I have a question if you dont mind. First, your kitchen remodel is beyond gorgeous. I’ve recently painted my own kitchen walls in SW Sea Salt and have both Comfort Gray and Oyster Bay in mind for my island. I was excited when I came across your post and saw you used these colors! My question is what paint color did you use on the wood paneling under the bar area in the photo of your white bar chairs? It appears to be a different color than the island but I know how lighting can make paint colors look different.
    Gayle

• So great to see your photos and comments because they are just what I need right now. Currently I am putting white cabinets in my laundry room and am going thru the dilemma of trying to figure out whether to use Sea Salt or Comfort Gray. The room gets a lot of light. I love Sea Salt but am worried it will be too light but I am also worried that Comfort Gray may be too dark. I probably can’t lose either way but having a tough time making the decision. You mentioned that you changed your family room from Comfort Gray to Sea Salt. Will Sea Salt be washed out in a sunny room?

• Hi Ida! No, Sea Salt will not be washed out in a sunny room. It will probaby look more blue though. If the room has an abundance of light then I personally would go with Comfort Gray. Hope that helps! Have a beautiful week! ~KIM

65. Hello again,
    I should have read all the comments before posting! I’m sorry☺ I found the answer to my question!!! Thanks again!
    Gayle

66. Love every inch of this! What is the golden color is the hallway outside of the kitchen? It goes so well with the kitchen!

67. Pat Murtha says:

This is absolutely, beyond a doubt, the most amazingly beautiful and perfect kitchen I’ve ever seen. I have found my dream kitchen. No need to consider any other options. If I can convince my husband, I’m going to use as many details from your dreamy kitchen and begin with the paint colors. Changing our backsplash will be a tough one to talk him into, but I’ll give it my best shot…and keep going from there. Enjoy every minute in this dream space, as I know you will. Thanks so much for the gorgeous inspiration and for so many detailed photos.

68. Hi! Love the pendants over the island! Are they the petite or small size from Ballard?

69. Myla Cinco says:

I sooo love it!!!!

70. Love your kitchen and the colors. I usually don’t care for busy mosaics but the colors in yours are really beautiful (it does come across in the pics). I was wondering how wide your kitchen is, from the sink to the refrigerator. I have a similarly sized (I think) kitchen and am wondering if I have enough room for an island. Yours looks plenty room, so maybe I am off on the dimensions a bit.

• HI Chess!
      The demensions from the back splash behind the sink to the wall behind the fridge is 15 ft. The width from the back of the counter by the bar to the end of the counter, left of the stove is 12.5 ft. All the lower cabinets are the standard 24 inches deep.

Hope that helps!
      Kim

71. Tiffany says:

What did you use for the bar area? I love the look of the wood and want to do in white under my bar area.

72. Love the way the cabinets look and I’m contemplating doing something similar in my kitchen, but I’m trying to figure out what heights I want. Is it possible to get three measurements?
    – Height of upper, glass front cabinet
    – height of main cabinet
    – distance from counter top to base of cabinet?

I’m assuming the base cabinets are a standard 36″?
    Thanks! I scanned the other comments, but if I missed the answer previously, sorry…

• Hi Stacy!
      The upper cabinets are 48 inches high boxes with a 15″ glass door on top and a 33″ door below. The doors give the illusion of 2 separate cabinets. The measurement from countertop to bottom of the cabinet is a standard 18″. We trimmed out the bottom of cabinets with 2″ moldings, which hides the undercabinet lighting. Base cabinets are standard 36″. Hope that helps!
      ~KIM

• Perfect! Thank you for that quick answer. One more question…if I may…
        We were planning on adding the 2″ trim piece as well, but were going to raise the cabinets up 2″ to still give 18″ of clearance under the trim. What are your thoughts?

Do you miss the extra 2″ between the counter and cabinets? Is it going to raise the cabinets up too high if we do that?

We are planning 42″ uppers at this point (maybe changing now 🙂 ) and have vaulted ceilings so the upper height isn’t a concern.

Trackbacks

1. […] Coastal Kitchen Makeover […]

2. […] Special thanks to Lunada Bay! Their tile has made our coastal kitchen complete! Click here to see our full kitchen makeover. […]

3. […] Source: Coastal Kitchen Makeover Reveal by Sand & Sisal […]

4. […] Click here to see the long awaited results! Coastal Kitchen Makeover – The Reveal […]